This week's poll asks:
Should the Prime Minister call off the Maori Party’s constitutional review?
*Congratulations, Muriel, on a very good letter which states clearly and unequivocally how the Prime Minister, his party, parliament and the people of New Zealand are being taken to the cleaners by a cunning, conniving, minority. Auntie Podes
*We must stop the National Government from giving in to the Maori demand for rights above every other NZ citizen. If we do not achieve this there is no hope for democracy in this country. The worst possible result of such a Government action would be civil war which is the last thing we want. Ernest
*All Kiwis should be treated equally no if's no but's. Ed
*Steve Oregan on addressing a fishing conference back in the 80s,90s,that "your" government has given "us" more fish quota than we ever dreamed of getting,all concocted by subterfuge behind closed door's.The same thing is happening,takeover by stealth, and weak politicians! Ian
*Yes there is no reason to enshrine the treaty into a new constitution. Mike
*All Maori's are well on the way to being hated because of the actions of these unscrupulous Maori radicals. Give them an inch and they take a mile. Enough Is Enough. Colin
*All laws should be the same for everyone no matter what race. Nigel
*There should be only one law and one parliament for New Zealanders. Malcolm
*Always my thinking. One cannot change or tamper with history. History is. HISTORY. Marg
*People have had a guts full of John Key brown noseing, I voted for him in the last two elections, but unless he stops bending over for these so called natives who seem to want to hold this country to ransom , then he will lose my vote. The sooner we become a state of Australia the better. Murray
*The whole Treat is far too ambiguous to stand the test of time. It has outlived its purpose and should be scrapped. Sheila
*YES!!! I hope this letter is going in all of the papers nationally? Peter
*New Zealand's assets and responsibilities should be equally shared by all New Zealanders. Doreen
*But he won't, as his UN / globalist master do not wish it. Mr Key & his puppets (muppets?) are nothing more than sham window dressing to continue the charade of "democracy" in NZ, so that "we the lemmings" continue to provide tax revenue for the UN coffers and social-engineering projects. Death to the UN. The time for revolution is now. Peter
*This farcical situation must end. Kevin
*Biased, pre determined segregation. David
*This is discrimination in its crudest form. Stewart
*Absolutely essential for the future of this country. Jan
*We should stop all race based politics. Ted
*Otherwise we are doomed. John
*Of course, what a rort. The way things are going and the way our politicians keep rolling over on all things maori, there will be but one outcome for our country. Following this, there will be only one way to take the country back for ALL New Zealanders. I fervently hope I am still alive to be part of it. Ray
*We should be working to make New Zealand an inclusive country, not one where a small proportion of the population have more rights than the majority. Hilary
*Enough is enough. stop all this rubbish and make all new zealanders equal citizens. Peter
No wonder so many are leaving NZ. Helen Clark was well rid of, and Key and Co should go get a job with her as they are all tarred with the same brush. Key DID NOT need the racist Maori Party to govern - they are dictating how this country is run but got only TWO PERCENT of the vote at the last election. I and my family will ever vote National again while Key and Co are in power - or does power describe the Maori racists better? Carolyn
*Lets stop all this garbage.I have just returned from Australia to visit my grandchildren(yes part Maori)and a get together included 4 other Maori families 3 of which stated that the main reson for them leaving NZ was their embarresment and shame to being labeled with the same group as the activists (seperatists) and what they are doing to the people of NZ. Bob
*Our country is descending into an abyss of reverse apartheid. I am fearful of what the future holds for my grandchildren and theirs. Jim
*Definitely, it is biased from the start - the panel is loaded with maori rights supporters, so it is not inclusive r a fair representation of all New Zealanders - and I mean everyone, not just pakeha and Maori - there are many races of people living here now who are New Zealanders. Nick
*Is there any sound reason why ordinary nzer's should be held to ransom by a greedy Maori minority? I cannot find any. Faye
*Equality was a simply concept to grasp for politicians and New Zealanders with the issue of gay marriage. Why not the same on New Zealand vs Maori Sovereignty??? B
*I'm sick of halfpie Maori getting preferential treatment. Ian
*Let us all reject such apartheid matters forthwith. Stuart
*Yes, absolutely. Who gave them the authority to do so in the first place.?? Bruce
*I 100% support the contents of this letter. Bert
*Maori greed is like a cancer; it will either kill the host or it needs to be surgically removed. Good letter to John Key, and it should be entertaining watching him avoid all those valid issues. If it goes ahead, we will be going to Australia and all our taxes will go there. Derejk
*Be very afraid NZ. There will be no turning back. Do not trust John Key, his track record shows he can not be trusted, nor can the National party or any other Politician for that matter. NZ is screwed. Never has so few screwed the lives of so many. I think you will see those that can afford it fleeing NZ, those that can't are doomed for misery. And don't ever forget that John Key doesn't care, he can afford to 'get out' anytime he likes. In days gone by he would be executed for treason. Raewyn
*It is a complete sham with the outcome dooming future generations to increasing racial bitterness and division. Bernie
*The letter to the Prime Minister clearly highlights the flaws in a flawed process. Gregor
*Why should a constitutional review be legal when it is only wanted by one group living in New Zealand? Mary
*Had enough of racism in NZ. Gaile
*We need to be united as a country to further oue development. Lyn
*Of course they should the treaty does not give them sovereignty. Marian@ Trevor
*If not, severe racial dishaarmony will ensue. Patricia
*Maori Party's constitutional review, is self serving, for maori's only benefit, and is racist aginst all other NZ races. Glen
*As a born and bred (non-Maori) NZer, I am not happy at being relegated to a 2nd-class position in society. The Maoris arrived AFTER the Morioris, disposed of them, and are now disposing of everyone else's rights. Keep our democracy intact! Susan
*When is all this nonsense going to cease? There are, as far as I know, no full blooded maori person alive--all are part maori yet they shed their other cultural being for that of Maori and seem hell bent on claiming everything and anything. And no!-I am not racist--I have been happily married for 42 years to a wife of polynesian descent and my heart bleeds for the way this country is heading. Terry
*Yes because the Maori who are behind this ''TAKEOVER'' by way of implementing a Maori controlled Constitution are showing a very DISTURBING MENACING GENETIC BASED''Superior sense of ''Grandios ENTITLEMENT,they do not reciprocate, they display no Empathy,no Remorse,NO Sorrow for the rest of New Zealanders and other Cultures who have brought the Maori to where they are today. What is described here is a ''Scary'' PSYCHOLOGICAL MENACING'', USING various Tactics such as ''Coercive Persuasion'',to systematically produce ANXIETY and FEAR undermining the rest of New Zealand's Population. Sandra
*Resoundingly YES!! Presently, the whole exercise is a political sham...a bloody democratic disgrace. Tony
*Yes, yes & yes.Otherwise we need an early election to get shot of this whole Treaty of Wai.part-maori in charge uneconomic business;we are in lunatic fairyland at the moment. Winston Peters talked about an early election the same day as Bob Jones! Show us the way you two. Monica
*National's dirty deal with the racists of the Maori Party must not be allowed to enslave New Zealanders. David.
*NZ is a democracy with equality for all - this is fast being lost. Linley
*How can we as a Nation continue to be so plainly stupid as to continue down this path of racial divide?
Surely even Maori can see that the ultimate result will be the erosion of goodwill, the destruction of the economic base of the country.
Look to Africa to see the examples. Where is there one country in which the indigenous population have taken control, and that country not crashed into anarchy and economic ruin? Bear in mind too, in all those countries the indigenous population are by far the majority. So there has been at least some justification for them holding power. Here in NZ Maori are a minority, and in some areas 3rd or 4th in number compared to other nationalities. There is no social or political justification for Maori to hold overall power here!
They have every possible support from the State already to provide for advancement, for their issues to be heard, generally over those of any other group. What more can be given in fairness to the rest of the population? Maori do not even pay taxes at the same level as the rest of the nation for goodness sake. The Maori Corporations are taxed at a lower rate than everyone else. Why?? Hugh
*Sick to death of this racial divide. Leonee
*Another attempt to give the moari more political power. Murray
*Gone beyond a joke. this country should be for all who live in it, not just about Maori.Stop this rubbish now John. Derek
*Stacked to achieve a particular outcome. Andrew
*To do otherwise we must declare that we are now truly an apartheid nation. Wasn't that very the very thing NZ rebelled against in 1981? Paul
*I have had enough of Maori wanting more but giving nothing. Bruce
*Can he not see that such a constitution as the Maori Party is proposing will divide our nation forever? The National government, which includes the Maori Party, seems hellbent on giving them everything they ask for. Kia kaha, John Key - stop this nonsense by calling the constitutional reform off! We want "one nation, one people", not race-based laws which are dividing us. Laurence
*Emphatically YES. Otherwise he will always be known as the PM who sold the hard working NZers (and future generations)
down the river for his own personal benefit. Sarah
*Geez, I am getting really brassed off at these ludicrous Maori demands. Arthur
*Nearly a Fiji allready NZ will be destroyed as we know it. Roy
*Blatant racims from one group of ''imports'' feathering their nest at the expense of later ''imports''...as all New Zealanders are. Mike
*One people one law, equal rights for all. Dorothy
The points of law and historical evidence.
1. Continued existence of the current laws depends entirely on British law, in that the “New Zealand Constitutional Act 1852 (A United Kingdom Act. UK Short Title), purports to provide our current New Zealand Constitution. The Act in fact reads “An act to grant a Representative Constitution to the Colony of New Zealand”. This Act did not confer Sovereignty, New Zealand was still a colony of the UK in 1853, and hence it only conferred a “Colony” Constitution. In addition, the laws are also dependant on the Colonial Laws Validity Act 1865 UK, The English Laws Act 1808 and the Imperial Laws Application Act 1988 NZ.
2. New Zealand, like Australia, was still considered a colony under International Law prior to 1919 as is evidence by the declaration of war against Germany, made on behalf of the British Colony of New Zealand by King George V of the United Kingdom in 1914. This is historical evidence, that it only conferred a “Colonial” Constitution. The United Kingdom was a signatory state to the Treaty of Versatilles on 28 June 1919 and thereby became one of the guarantors of New Zealand’s sovereign independence from that date onwards.
3. New Zealand achieved its independence or sovereignty on the 10th January 1920 when it became a member of the League of Nations. The UN can be contacted to confirm this fact.
4. Under the UK and International Law, the Covenant of the League of Nations Article XX and under the UN Charter Article 2.4 all Colonial Laws applying the New Zealand pre-Sovereignty are voided.
5. This means that the “New Zealand Constitutional Act 1852 UK”, The Act purporting to establish the “New Zealand Constitution” does not legally exist and hence all subordinate laws, in fact our Political and Judicial system have no legal validity since 1920.
6. The attempt by British, New Zealand and Australian politicians to subvert International Law by means of Paragraph 4 of the Statute of Westminister 1931. Purporting to allow Colonial Law to continue after sovereignty, is in direct contradiction of Article X and articles XX of the Convent of the League of Nations and Articles 2.1 and 2.4 of the UN Charter.
7. I hereby challenge New Zealand or the UK to provide evidence of a higher legal authority than the Covenant of the UN Charter whereby the situation can legally exist. The only exception is when a reciprocal treaty applies, which does not infringe upon the sovereignty of either member state. Such a treaty between the UK and New Zealand with respect to our “Constitution” does not at law exist. If any judiciary officer or public servant believes it does let him produce evidence of it.
8. If the “New Zealand Government” regards the Statute of Westminster 1931, paragraph 4 as a form of “Treaty”. Then they must realise that under Article XVII of the Covenant of the League of Nations and under Article 102 of the UN Charter, all treaties or international agreements must be registered with the Secretaries of these organizations to be legally binding at International Law. We would then require the judiciary officer or public servant to provide evidence of this “Treaty” as mentioned above.
9. It is an offence under International Law and UN Charter for any foreign Nation State (eg UK) to legislate for a Sovereign Member State (eg New Zealand) of the UN. It is an offence for any person or persons (eg judiciary officer or public servant) to attempt to apply or enforce the law of a foreign Nation-State on a naturally born New Zealand person.
10. Naturally born New Zealand persons have a right to resist the illegal application of a foreign law under Section 51 of the UN Charter. Persons attempting to illegally enforce foreign laws can be tried before the War Crimes Tribunal in Geneva Warrants for their arrest can be issued to the New Zealand Police who are charged with upholding International Law.
11. There has never been a referendum by New Zealand people since becoming an independent nation assenting to the use of the UK Statute, the “New Zealand Constitution Act 1852 (UK)” as our “New Zealand Constitution”. If any judiciary officer, or public servant claims there has, then let him produce evidence of it.
12. The public voting for the current Government, in no way legally validates the use of the “New Zealand Constitution Act 1852 (UK)” or any laws deriving their authority from this Act. To say that a vote for the Government is a vote for the existence of our “New Zealand Constitution” has no basis at law and has been refuted by our leading legal academics. New Zealand people have never been given full disclosure of the facts and hence have never given informed consent to the continuation of Colonial Law.
13. The Royal Assent Process and the UK Monarch’s Letters Patent to our Governor General is illegal under UK and International Law, which itself voids any laws formed via this process. Letters Patent must refer to an action to be taken with regard to British Citizens. The Immigration Act 1972 UK defines New Zealand Citizens as aliens.
14. The Constitution Act 1986 was an attempt to try and fix the problem. It was designed to repeal the “New Zealand Constitutional Act 1852 (UK)” (which ceased to have any legal significance in New Zealand under International Law post 1920 anyway). The Statute of Westminster 1931 (UK) (only the UK Parliament can repeal UK laws), and the New Zealand Constitution (Amendment) Act 1947. It was presented by parliament, “passed” into law by the sovereign’s representative in New Zealand (the sovereign being a UK citizen), giving authority back to itself, in an attempt to legitimise its continued illegal governing of New Zealand.
15. The Imperial Laws Application Act 1988 (NZ), was an attempt to review Imperial Laws, to repeal ones which no longer had appropriate action and to continue colonial laws. As demonstrated above, this law is not a valid law in New Zealand either.
16. The only way the legal basis for all laws and political structure to have validity under International Law is by way of national referendum concerning the whole and complete truth regarding our current situation and the establishment of a brand new Constitution. Which will be voted point by point by the people of New Zealand on our entire and political and legal structure, covering every facet of every day living. Until this is done, nothing the politicians do will change this situation under International Law.
17. It appears that given these lawyers and researchers appear to be correct, the Treaty of Waitangi ceased to be valid on January 10, 1920 and the New Zealand Government does not lawfully exist yet they pay out. Why? It should be quite obvious. They are attempting to justify their position when they don’t have the authority to do so as the people never gave it. The potential crisis here is that any and all laws enacted by NZ Government since then are invalid and could create mayhem. Garth
*Maori will not be happy until they control how this country operates. this has to be wrong'. Patrick
*Pull your head in and listen to the people of NZ!! Anthea
*NZ is stuffed if this goes through. Craig
*If this constitutional reform continues, we should change our countries name: New Zimbabwe. Rob
*As a senior citizen, I will probably (and thankfully) not live to see the full and drastic impact of any Treaty-based constitution, but I fear for my grand-children who will have to live in a basically apartheid New Zealand, as second-class citizens to those claiming maori descent.
However, if Cristian Cullen with his 1/64th maori blood can be 'maori' then I guess my grand-children will be able to also claim to be maori and get on the gravy train, because of their 1/512 bloodmix.
It is such a stupid situation and one that seemingly no Prime Minister has the guts to sort out.
The USA had their Civil War based on racial/slavery matters - will NZ end up with the same situation? Carl
*My Family has been in NZ since March 1853 so are very much a New Zealander. Peter
*J Key does not need the job. He must ditch the Maori party and restore equality to New Zealanders. If he has the courage to do this he would be re-elected with a substantial majority. Graham
*Thank you for bringing all this information to light, the public is, I'm sure, unaware of most of the goings-on. Keep up the good work. Peter
*Of course he should. Just like greedy children more and more will be expected and taken unless someone starts saying no. But alas Key doesn't have it in him to be the one who starts saying no. Gary
Has the treaty of Waitangi any validity in law given that it was drawn up by someone having no experience in law and who may not have had the authority to pronounce on behalf of the British Government who had not been consulted and given their authorization for that document to be signed?
There may be doubts on the legality of that document here. Kenneth