This is the campaign page for our battle against the hundreds of opportunistic Marine and Coastal Area Act claims that have been lodged for our coastline.
Please scroll down for the Claims Register – for those who want to help oppose the claims…
You can read our concerns about National’s proposed law change in a 2010 article Maori Ownership of the Foreshore and Seabed HERE – these concerns are now becoming a reality. A recent NZCPR article outlining what’s going on is HERE and Dr Hugh Barr’s article is HERE. The “Archive” link on the top navigation bar of our website will enable you to browse articles – alternatively, you can type “foreshore” into our website search function.
We provide regular updates on developments regarding the claims process through our free NZCPR Weekly newsletter – you can register for the mailing list HERE
The NZCPR is helping to cover the tens of thousands of dollars in Court application fees and other costs that fishing and recreation groups are incurring on behalf of the New Zealand public.
While Maori claimants can receive over $400,000 in taxpayer assistance to prepare their claims, those opposing them have to pay $110 to the High Court for each of the almost 200 claims that have been lodged. If you would like to help those who will be standing up for you in the Court, opposing these claims, please click HERE – and please be generous, because the task these groups are taking on in the public interest is not an easy one.
This comprehensive resource of information on the Marine and Coastal Area Act claims process, will have new information added as it comes to hand. Please note that if the links appear problematic – try changing browser to Chrome or Explorer.
- Newspaper advertisements of the claims can be seen HERE
- Claim applications lodged with the High Court – by CIV number – can be seen HERE
- Maps of all of the High Court claims to the coast can be seen HERE
- High Court spreadsheet of claims by Map Area and hyperlinked CIVs can be downloaded in a searchable format HERE
- Claims lodged directly with the Crown can be seen HERE
Find a Claim
To find a claim, there are two steps:
- Click the link to the maps and find the map that covers your area of interest (we have provided a link to Google maps to help since the maps do not have place-names on them). Also note, if you click the claims Map you are interested in and click it again, it will be magnified..
- Identify the number of the claim that covers your area of interest then download the High Court spreadsheet (as outlined in orange above), which allows you to cross reference the map number with the actual application lodged in the High Court.
The High Court case number (CIV number) is the key identifying factor for each claim.
Register a Notice of Appearance With the High Court
To register a Notice of Appearance with the High Court, there are three steps:
- Identify the High Court case number (CIV number) of the claim by locating the claim’s reference number on the maps, and matching it up with the CIV number on the Map/CIV Spreadsheet – download it HERE
- Fill in the Notice of Appearance form HERE
- Submit the form to the High Court along with the $110 fee for each claim – the details can be seen HERE
Register Your Interest in Helping to Oppose the Claims
We would like to encourage everyone who is interested in helping to oppose these coastal claims to register their interest in the form below. Our aim is to ensure that whenever a coastal claim is being considered by the Court or the Minister, locals will be able to help to counter any misrepresentations.
When you fill in the form, if you have concerns about particular areas, please let us know – we have provided details for map references (A to U), and claim CIV numbers if you know them, otherwise just mention the common names of the areas.
Further, please help to spread the message by letting everyone who shares our concerns about these claims know that they can help to oppose them by registering their interest here: