Welcome to NZCPR.comWelcome to the NZCPR.com website! We hope you find value in our public policy research and commentary. We do not shy away from the tough issues but speak out where ever strong voices are needed. Our firm belief is that informed citizens are at the heart of a well-functioning democracy.
Select Committees invite your input:
- Land Transport (NZTA) Legislation Amendment Bill
- Inquiry into the 2019 Local Elections and Liquor Licensing Trust Elections, and Recent Energy Trust Elections
- Secondary Legislation Bill
- Infrastructure Funding and Financing Bill
- Land Transport (Rail) Legislation Bill
- Films, Videos, and Publications Classification (Commercial Video on-Demand) Amendment Bill
- Taumata Arowai—the Water Services Regulator Bill
- Budget Policy Statement 2020
- Holidays (Bereavement Leave for Miscarriage) Amendment Bill (No 2)
- Racing Industry Bill
- Protection for First Responders and Prison Officers Bill
- Urban Development Bill
- Crimes (Definition of Female Genital Mutilation) Amendment Bill
- Education and Training Bill
- Climate Change Response (Emissions Trading Reform) Amendment Bill
- International Crimes and International Criminal Court Amendment Bill
- Sexual Violence Legislation Bill
- Public Service Legislation Bill
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Commission Bill
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC 2021) Bill
Live News Feeds (Herald)
- 'Shame on you': Hamilton bar offering deal on Corona beers 'while pandemic lasts'
- White Island death toll rises to 21 after patient dies at Middlemore Hospital
- Jacinda Ardern says the time has come to spend up on roads
- 'We've heard nothing': Kiwis trapped in Wuhan in the dark on evacuation plans
- Coronavirus: Student from China's Hubei Province in isolation at Auckland Hospital
- Canterbury transport projects capture 2 per cent of Government spend-up
- Hutt City Council needs to fork out $270m for water infrastructure
- Whakaari/White Island eruption death toll rises to 21
- Strong winds blowing Australia bushfire smoke across the Tasman
- Police defend $28,000 taxpayer-funded makeover for top cop's office
Category: Social Issues
On behalf of the New Zealand Centre for Political Research, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year! Thank you so much for your encouragement and help over the last 12 months - the NZCPR simply couldn’t achieve what we do without your wonderful support.
For nine years in opposition, Labour vilified wealth creators for political gain, only to find their tax revenue now depends on them! It's not easy for a Party that’s beholden to the anti-business trade union movement for funding and electoral support, and totally reliant on the extremist Greens to stay in Government, to revive business confidence.
When the economic engine of a democracy fails, social and environmental imperatives become unaffordable. But rather than fix the economy, politicians have obfuscated and spent more of the nation’s precious capital on political band aids – reinforcing the downward spiral.
I wonder if those Royal Society members who are responsible for introducing their new draft code, appreciate that in strengthening Treaty partnership requirements and implementing biculturalism they are embracing the radical political agenda of the Maori sovereignty movement.
Months ago, when the Massey University Politics Society asked me to give a speech on the Manawatu campus about my time in politics, nobody could have guessed how events would unfold.
The Ministry of Health estimates that a half of all women drink alcohol while pregnant. As a result, their children may be born with irreversible brain damage and other serious disabilities that make it impossible to lead a ‘normal’ life. The cost of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder to children and society is massive.
More than half of Winnipeg’s Indigenous homeless population are former State wards. Many were born with irreversible brain damage caused by alcohol in their mother’s womb at a crucial time, resulting in Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). Their irresponsible parents placed their own selfish drinking and drug taking ahead of their duties as parents.
Politics is a battle of ideology and influence. While social media has the virtuous intent of connecting people and communities, it has also become the frontline for a colossal struggle between propaganda and the truth.
Earlier this year, Dr Bruce Moon, a retired physicist and avid historian, was invited by the Nelson Institute to give a talk at his local library. The topic he chose for his April 8th address was New Zealand's ‘fake history’ as it relates to Treaty of Waitangi issues. Four days before the event, Bruce was informed the talk had been cancelled.
Personal freedom, the right to live one’s life free from the interference of others is the natural bedrock of all human beings. Over the millennia it has been something more honoured in the breach than the observance, but as mankind emerged from societies whose economies were reliant on slavery and serfdom the assertion of personal freedom became unstoppable.